Today, I am excited to share an Italian inspired ricotta cheese stuffed pepper recipe with you. First of all, you will love that this vegetarian dish packs a lot of flavor.
As a result, each bite will consist of delicious ricotta cheese as well as the taste of fresh herbs such as basil and parsley.
A Vegetarian Dish Everyone Will Love
I have really enjoyed experimenting with stuffed pepper recipes as one of my new vegetarian dinner staples. One of the first vegetarian stuffed pepper recipes that I made was Mexican inspired. It contained rice, cheese and spice! Check out that recipe here.
How to make a ricotta cheese stuffed pepper?
This recipe is easy to follow and the best part is you will have dinner on the table in less than an hour. All you need is an oven, a baking sheet, and of course all the ingredients listed below.
Let’s get cooking!
Italian Ricotta Cheese Stuffed Pepper
- Cook Top
- Saute Pan
- 4 Whole Red Bell Peppers Cut in half
- 6 oz Spinach Leaves
- 4 Cloves Garlic diced
- 12 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Cups Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp. Lemon zest
- 1 Whole Yellow Onion Diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Parsley chopped
- 1/4 Cup Basil chopped
- Step #1 – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Next Chop the peppers in half and set aside in a baking pan.
- Step #2 – Meanwhile dice the onion and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and cook the garlic and onion for 8-10 minutes or until the onion has turned translucent.
- Step #3- Add the spinach to the saute pan and cook with the onion and garlic until it has cooked down.
- Step #4 – Remove saute pan from heat and set aside. Next combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg, along with the salt, pepper and red pepper chili flakes.
- Step #5 – Chop the parsley and basil and add to the cheese mixture along with the zest the lemon.
- Step #6 – Scoop the cheese filling into each bell pepper half evenly. If you wish to add a bit more cheese to the top, do so now and then bake for 30 minutes.
- Step #7 – Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Where did stuffed pepper recipes originate from?
As my love of making stuffed pepper recipes has grown I have started to wonder where the heck these recipes originated from.
According to Wikipedia, the stuffed pepper seems to be a dish found in many different countries. It is not traced back to one specific place of origin.
From Spain, India, Africa, Scandinavia and even North America there are histories of cooking stuffed pepper dishes.
Lastly, some stuffed pepper recipes call for meat fillings while others opt to keep it vegetarian. The possibilities are endless as far cooking with the versatile pepper go. Have fun and create your recipes to share with family and friends.