Today I am excited to share with you a broccoli cake fritter recipe. To start, broccoli is a vegetable I love cooking with because you can utilize the entire vegetable, even the stem. This recipe is perfect for a sharing as an appetizer or to serve as a main course.
You will love how easy it is to make! In less than 30 minutes this vegetarian broccoli cake fritter recipe will be on the table.
Broccoli Cake Fritters
- Saute Pan
- Stove top
- 2 Heads Broccoli Crowns Purchase two large broccoli crowns, approximately one pound
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese Shredded
- 1/4 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream To be served on the side for dipping.
- Step #1 – Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile chop the broccoli into small pieces, stem and all.
- Step #2 – Once water has come to a boil, add the broccoli and allow to cook about 10 minutes or until the broccoli has tenderized. Strain and set aside.
- Step #3 – Add the diced onion to the saute pan and cook for about 8 minutes or until the onions have turned translucent. Add the garlic for the last two minutes and cook together.
- Step #4 – In a bowl combine the broccoli, onion, garlic, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Step #5 – In a saute pan, add the olive oil and allow the pan to heat. Next scoop the broccoli mixture into palm size patties and place in the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Step #6 – Remove from pan and serve immediately alongside sour cream. Enjoy!
What I love most about this recipe…
I love that it is a fun vegetarian meal that is not a salad. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE salad, but sometimes you want a hot meal for dinner. This broccoli fritter cake recipe packs a lot of flavor and a bit of zest with the red pepper flakes.
The tricky part of this recipe is…
Sometimes it is hard to keep the broccoli cakes from falling apart. I have to admit that as I have played around with this recipe it has gotten easier to flip them without them falling apart.
A few things that can help the broccoli cakes from not falling apart is to actually puree the cooked broccoli, onion, garlic and spices together in a blender such as a vitamix.
This will allow the mixture to be consistent all the way through. Once combined place in a bowl and then mix in the parmesan cheese.
Dinner on the table in 30 Minutes
After a long day of work who wants to spend hours cooking? If you have the time, awesome! But if not, and you want a healthy option, (this recipe is also a good low carb keto meal) then opt for this broccoli cake fritter recipe.
Another quick meal I like is…
Buffalo cauliflower “wings”. Here is the recipe I use for making delicious vegetarian cauliflower wings. This recipe is super simple, but also filling. Just on its own might leave you a little hungry, that’s why I recommend having it along side another side dish, such as the broccoli cake fritters.
Broccoli has so many health benefits
If you are looking for more proof that eating broccoli is good for you, check out this article from health.com called 9 Health Benefits of Broccoli. Here they explain how broccoli is linked to brain health, is high in fiber and can even help prevent cancer.