If you are a vegetarian it is highly likely that one of your rotating staples is some form of Mexican cuisine. I know for me, since I stopped eating meat I have made black beans and rice a big part of my lunch and dinner menu staples. These ingredients are very versatile. I recently experienced creating a vegetarian burrito recipe that I am excited to share with you today.
What I love most about this vegetarian burrito recipe:
I love that I can make one batch of 10 burritos at a time and freeze the rest. This is meal prep at its finest. Side note, meal prep is tip #2 in my post Stop Feeling Broke With These Money Saving Tips. Check it out if you have time for additional ways to save money.
Meal prep also saves you time. Forget wondering what you are going to make for dinner every night. Instead, simply pull a burrito out of the freezer and heat for 12 minutes on 425 degrees in the oven.
Vegetarian Burrito Recipe
- Stove top
- 1 can black beans 15.5 oz.
- 1 can corn 15.5 oz.
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 whole lime press the juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 whole shallot diced
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups white rice cooked
- 10 four tortillas
- Step #1 – Place a pot of three cups of water in a pot. When it comes to a boil place the one and a half cups of white rice into the pot. Turn the burner to low. Stir occasionally until rice is tender. Set the cooked rice aside.
- Step #2 – Rinse the canned corn and black beans. Place contents of both together in a bowl. Add the cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, lime juice, cilantro and diced shallot. Give a good stir and set aside.
- Step #3 – If making your own guacamole do so now and set aside. Or if you bought some from the store, simply open it up and set aside for a moment.
- Step #4 – If you are making homemade salsa, do so now, or simply open up the salsa you purchased from the store.
- Step #5 – Place your oven on 450 degrees and allow to preheat. Meanwhile assemble your burrito by placing spoonfuls of rice, the corn and bean mixture, salsa, guacamole and cheese to the open burrito. Fold it up and place on a baking sheet.
- Step #6 – Place all of the burritos in the oven for 20 minutes on 450 degrees. For the last 2-3 minutes, turn the oven to broil on high. Watch closely as it browns very quickly. I like to do this as a final step because it makes the burrito extra crispy. Lastly take out of the oven, serve and enjoy!
Since this recipe makes 10 burritos at a time you might choose to freeze some for a later date. I find that the vegetarian burritos freeze well for about two months.
First, allow burritos to cool completely to room temperature. Next, wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and then place in a Tupperware with a lid sealed tightly.
When removing from the freezer, simply bake in the oven frozen with plastic removed for about 25 minutes on 375 degrees.
How to make this vegetarian burrito recipe extra spicy:
If you love hot and spicy foods than I suggest adding a chopped jalapeno to the rice and corn mixture. This will give the vegetarian burrito an extra kick.
For more vegetarian recipes:
If you loved this recipe and you want more vegetarian inspired meals be sure to follow my vegetarian recipes board on Pinterest.