If you used to eat meat but have made the transition to eating vegetarian chances are you might miss some of your old favorite dishes. For me, its the Chinese dish general tso’s chicken stir fry. So today I want to share a new recipe, vegetarian general tso’s cauliflower. This easy stir fry dish will fill that craving, I promise.
A very healthy alternative.
This recipe makes four servings and comes in at only 211 calories per serving. In case your wondering how I calculate that, I use the website Very Well Fit to calculate. For this recipe you can find the full nutritional breakdown here.
That is amazing when you compare it to a one cup serving of a traditional general tso’s chicken recipe at almost double that, 431 calories according to the website Nutritionix.
What I love most about this recipe.
With this vegetarian general tso’s cauliflower dish I like that I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. As a newbie vegetarian, making the transition can be hard at times. But it is also fun to experiment with new recipes!
This recipe is filled with so much flavor! It has a sweet yet tangy flavor to it, which I love.
How To Make Vegetarian General Tso’s Cauliflower with Less Calories
If you are looking for ways to cut back on the sweetness of the honey that brings in those sugary calories, you can swap for a low calorie option alternative such as this Whole Earth brand of organic honey that is sweetened with stevia.
I Recommend Using a Local Brand of Honey
For me personally, I like to use a local brand of honey for two reasons. The first is that I like to support local businesses. Chances are wherever you live there are farmers markets with honey vendors or grocers that stock local honey brands.
The second reason is that I think the taste of a local organic honey is so much more flavorful and rich. If you use good ingredients you will elevate your food.
For other cauliflower inspired recipes, check out my vegetarian cauliflower buffalo wing recipe.
Vegetarian General Tso’s Recipe Hack with Cauliflower
- Saute Pan
- Cutting Board
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 tbsp Ginger Grated
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Step #1 – Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile chop the cauliflower and arrange on a baking sheet. Top with two tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until browned.
- Step #2 – While the cauliflower is backing chop the garlic and set aside.
- Step #3 – Dice the onion, and place in a frying pan with the garlic and one remaining tbsp. of olive oil and saute until the onions have turned translucent. Approximately 6 minutes on medium high.
- Step #4 – As the onions and garlic are cooking, grate the ginger into a measuring cup, next add the water, soy sauce, rice vinegar and honey. Stir to combine.
- Step #5 – Once the cauliflower has completely roasted, remove from the oven and add to the saute mixture. Serve alongside some white rice. Enjoy!