Ready to spice up your weeknight dinner routine? Look no further than this delectable spicy take on an otherwise bland fish dish. As a bonus, this dish is also low-carb.
This recipe serves four people. I suggest pairing it with a side of broccoli, asparagus or a nice side salad.
- 1 lb. of rockfish, cut into four fillets
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. of fish sauce
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 tsp. of red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 scallion
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil (plus more for cooking)
- salt & pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Cast iron skillet
- Fish fillet spatula
- Pestle and mortar
- Serving soon
Let’s Get Cooking:
- Take fish out of the refrigerator and set on a clean plate. Sprinkle a tsp. of salt on all sides of fish and set aside.
Pro Tip: By allowing fish or meat to come to room temperature before cooking, allows for an even cooking process.
2. Dice the jalapeño, scallion and garlic and mash in the pestle and mortar along with a tsp. of salt.
3. Add 2 tbsp. of fish sauce, 2 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar and 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes to the jalapeño and garlic and combine mixing in the pestle and mortar. Set aside, the longer this combination sits the better it will taste.
4. Beat two eggs in a bowl and set aside.
5. Crush a half cup of almonds in a bowl and set aside.
6. Turn the burner on med-high heat. Add 1 tbsp. remaining olive oil. Allow the pan to get hot.
7. Meanwhile, dip each piece of rock fish in the egg mixture, than the crushed almonds. Set on a plate.
8. Now the burner should be hot. Place each piece of rock fish on the cast iron skillet, and coat 3-4 minutes on each side.
9. Serve the fish with the hot pepper topping and a side salad. Bon appetite!